Cabinetry updates

Our kitchen cabinet installation was paused due to a ceiling height issue, and our builder had to re-order slightly shorter upper cabinets. That delayed our scheduled appliance measure and installation.

The new cabinets arrived and installation is now nearly complete. This time around, only one of the cabinets is the wrong size. Unfortunately, it’s the cabinet that the hood will be attached to, so that will probably cause an additional delay for the project.

Continue reading “Cabinetry updates”

House painting, stucco color change, and tile work

Work continues both inside and out.

The color change from yellow to gray/brown is visible here. The painter mistakenly switched the trim and window sample colors here.

A painting and masonry contractor is repairing all of the stucco on the old house, and they are coating the old stucco with Texcrete to change its color to match the new stucco on the addition. While we had wanted to re-stucco the old house, this was the fastest and most affordable way to make the house match.

Continue reading “House painting, stucco color change, and tile work”

Lots of progress to report!

There has been so much activity in the last week that it has been hard to keep up with everything!

The cabinets have arrived in boxes and are packed floor to ceiling in the addition. Installation of the cabinets will begin this week.

We have purchased all of the appliances. We were able to get several as “open box” and “floor model” specials to save a little money. The appliance installer will measure for the appliances next Friday, with installation of them scheduled for Friday, November 2. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with the cabinet installation.

Continue reading “Lots of progress to report!”

Update: floors and cabinets coming next!

The wood floor has been acclimating in the addition for the past week, and installation began today.

It should be complete by Monday, and the kitchen cabinets should arrive next week.

The concrete slab is another matter. We have a floor drain in the laundry room, but it turns out the slab slopes away from the drain, not towards it. And, the floor slopes towards the egress window overall. A slab prep contractor ground down the laundry room floor so that water drains towards the drain, not away, and poured a self-leveling product.

Continue reading “Update: floors and cabinets coming next!”

Addition progress

The last few weeks have been very busy. In my last post, I wrote about the progress with the roof, which is now nearly done. In addition, our builder has also made considerable progress on many fronts.

After installing the drywall, they have taped, mudded, sanded, and primed all of the walls.

The soffit trim has been a long-standing issue. After installing the windows, we realized that we couldn’t open them without the window bumping into the soffit trim. Worse, the trim that had been installed was not appropriate for outside installation (due to an error translating the approved plans into the final plans) and was damaged and warped by the weather.

Continue reading “Addition progress”