A painting and masonry contractor is repairing all of the stucco on the old house, and they are coating the old stucco with Texcrete to change its color to match the new stucco on the addition. While we had wanted to re-stucco the old house, this was the fastest and most affordable way to make the house match.
There has been so much activity in the last week that it has been hard to keep up with everything!
The cabinets have arrived in boxes and are packed floor to ceiling in the addition. Installation of the cabinets will begin this week.
We have purchased all of the appliances. We were able to get several as “open box” and “floor model” specials to save a little money. The appliance installer will measure for the appliances next Friday, with installation of them scheduled for Friday, November 2. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with the cabinet installation.
Our new oak floor has been installed on the main floor of the addition, stairs, and landing. It looks terrific! It’s unfinished and dirty right now. They will be sanding it down and finishing it next week.
The wood floor has been acclimating in the addition for the past week, and installation began today.
It should be complete by Monday, and the kitchen cabinets should arrive next week.
The concrete slab is another matter. We have a floor drain in the laundry room, but it turns out the slab slopes away from the drain, not towards it. And, the floor slopes towards the egress window overall. A slab prep contractor ground down the laundry room floor so that water drains towards the drain, not away, and poured a self-leveling product.
The last few weeks have been very busy. In my last post, I wrote about the progress with the roof, which is now nearly done. In addition, our builder has also made considerable progress on many fronts.
The soffit trim has been a long-standing issue. After installing the windows, we realized that we couldn’t open them without the window bumping into the soffit trim. Worse, the trim that had been installed was not appropriate for outside installation (due to an error translating the approved plans into the final plans) and was damaged and warped by the weather.
The porch on the front of the house was not originally enclosed. It doesn’t have a basement under it (who knows how it is supported), and it has sagged and settled over the years. Its roof sank in the middle, causing the internal gutter to pitch backwards. Little rain reached the downspout at the very front of the roof, and during heavy rains, most water overflowed onto our heads as we walked up the sidewalk to the front door.
I had walked on the roof several times to clear out gutters and downspouts and inspect the second floor gutter, and noticed that the roof felt rather spongy in places, so I was expecting this to be a major job.
Our objective for the porch was to repair the damaged spots and cosmetically fix the roof to create a straighter appearance. Ideally, we would also pitch the roof for a sensible downspout location.
Some progress on the renovation continues, albeit slowly.
The roofing delay we experienced was mostly due to them running out of shingles. The shingle was a special order, and only part of the shipment arrived. So they stopped for a month or so while they waited for the rest to arrive.
Fortunately, it arrived last week, and they returned to finish the addition’s roof and proceed in the main house.